Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Sophie's Ruffle Cake

I've been wanting to make a ruffle cake for a while and my niece Sophie's birthday was the perfect opportunity.  I knew she would appreciate the girly ruffles.  She requested white cake and chocolate frosting.  So I made yellow butter cake with malted chocolate frosting and added marshmallow filling.

This video was very helpful with learning how to make ruffles.  Be sure to start with a crumb coat on the cake so the frosting has something to adhere to.  The good news is that if your first ruffles don't turn out very well, you can scrape them off and start over.  I did.  I was pretty pleased with the results.  I feel like the ruffles make it look like you really know what you're doing, even if you don't, which I don't.






Ruffles!!



SOPHIE'S RUFFLE CAKE

When assembling cake, brush each layer with simple syrup in order to keep the layers moist.

 SIMPLE SYRUP
The simple syrup is brushed on each layer when assembling the cake to keep it moist.  If you want, you can steep a vanilla bean pod in the syrup to add a little extra special flavor. 
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • vanilla bean pod (optional)
  
Combine the water and sugar in a small saucepan.
Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook until the sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally.
Remove from the heat and let cool before using.      
NOTE:  I made two yellow butter cakes and split each layer in half.  This made for a pretty tall cake.  You could make one and split it into third or fourths, depending on how skilled you are at splitting cakes. 
Happy Birthday, Sophie!
   

















Sources:

2 comments:

  1. First, yes I do read your blog.

    Second, wow I hardly recognized Sophie

    Third, this looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike: Don't you watch cooking shows too? Haha.

    Sophie is getting old. Makes me feel old.

    The cake was tasty, especially the frosting, if you're into that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete