Friday, October 25, 2013

Apple Crisp

I really love fall.  Way more than any other season.  And . . . I'm missing it.  {Wah, wah, waaaaaah.} Fall just isn't the same when it's 90 degrees outside and there are no colorful leaves to crunch through.  But, I did buy a few overpriced, imported pumpkins and I also made apple crisp.  Both steps in the fall-ish direction.  And the best news of all?  I found oats at a local store, which made this dish possible.

This recipe is from my mom.  I have a handwritten copy that I wrote down a million years ago when I was leaving for college.  It's an oldie, but a goodie.  It's one that belongs on this blog.  Tuck it away for a day when you're looking for a little taste of fall.

NOTE:  The recipe below is for an 8x8 or 9x9 square baking dish.  If you want to make it in a 9x13, double both the apple mixture and topping.  














APPLE CRISP

Apple Mixture
  • 4-5 cups raw granny smith apples, sliced (4-5 small apples)
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 cups sugar
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon

Topping 
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup oatmeal
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted 


Place sliced apples, lemon juice, sugar, flour, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl and mix well.


Place apple mixture in a 8x8 square baking dish. (Double this if you want to make it in a 9 x 13 pan.)


Mix baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar, oatmeal, flour, and melted butter in a bowl and mix well.


Spread crumbled topping over the top of the apples and bake at 350 degrees for 1-1 1/2 hours or until bubbly.


Serve with ice cream.


Source:  Marsha Porter

No comments:

Post a Comment