Saturday, November 23, 2013

Sugar Cookie Bars

Anyone who knows me well knows that I love a good sugar cookie.  In fact, I think I make a pretty darn good one.  So, I had my doubts about whether or not I would really be into these sugar cookie bars.  Verdict: they were yum-o.  Be very careful not to overcook them.  Sugar cookies, in  my opinion, should be soft in a melt-in-your-mouth kind of way.    














SUGAR COOKIE BARS

Bars:

  • 3/4 cup butter, softened to cool room temperature
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tablespoon lemon zest (optional)
  • 2 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

Frosting
  • 6 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 3 tablespoons milk or cream
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • sprinkles (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 


In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter, sugar, and powdered sugar until light and fluffy.  


Add the eggs and vanilla and mix for 1-2 minutes.  


Add lemon zest, flour, baking powder, and salt.  Mix until combined.  


Lightly grease a 9 x 13 baking pan with cooking spray. 


Press sugar cookie mixture gently into an even layer.  (I used a tart tamper to get it nice and even.)


Bake for 10-13 minutes.  Don't overbake!  The bars shouldn't have any color around the edges and barely be set in the middle.  


Let the bars cool completely before frosting. 


NOTE ON FROSTING:  I'm a frosting girl and wanted to make sure these bars were amply frosted so I doubled it.  It was plenty!  


For the frosting, cream together the butter and powdered sugar.  (Whenever I'm adding powdered sugar, I add a little bit at a time and beat well after each addition.  This should keep the lumps out.)


Add the vanilla and milk.  


Mix until frosting is light and fluffy. 




No comments:

Post a Comment