Saturday, September 21, 2013

The Blog Will Live On

Hello friends!












Just checking in.  I know it's been a while.  I wanted to let you know (if there's anyone out there still following and/or reading) that I have not forgotten about this blog.  I love sharing recipes and will eventually get back at it.  

I've been a little tied up with a million things including, but not limited to: moving, setting up a new apartment, running a million errands to buy things like ironing boards and toasters and bath mats, starting a new job, and trying to figure out a new city and country.

Also, cooking here has been more of a challenge than I expected.  Finding ingredients can be tricky.  Finding the grocery stores can be even trickier.  Sometimes it takes several stores to find everything needed for any given recipe.  I didn't really think all of this through beforehand.  I think I took for granted how easy it was to get what I needed in the states.

The good news is that I've been here over a month and my life is starting to feel a little more manageable.  And, I'm thinking about what recipes I would like to share next!  

In the meantime, I thought you might enjoy some funny food quirks I've found here:
  • The powdered sugar, or "icing sugar" as they call it, sucks.  It's really gritty and a little weird.  I'm going to have to work on finding a solution because I love frosting too much to let it go for two years. 
  • You can't buy pork products unless you have a permit and go to a special store where they only sell pork and alcohol.  I'm hoping to go soon because living without bacon and salami just isn't going to work for me.  
  • Food items are sometimes in really strange places in the grocery stores.  Someone warned me about this and told me to always check other possible places.  I finally found cocoa powder in the coffee aisle, near the hot chocolate and butter and shredded coconut in the freezer section.  Go figure. 
  • No Kosher salt anywhere to be found.  Sad.  I love that stuff.  
  • You cannot buy vanilla extract because it contains alcohol.  Luckily I knew about this one and came prepared.  
I have successfully made the following oldie-but-goody recipes from this blog:  Chinese orange beef, tater tot breakfast casserole, Nanaimo bars, and lemon fusilli.  Go me.
  
So, stay tuned.  I'm hoping it won't be long until I am up and running again.  Cooking keeps me sane and makes me happy so I'm going to make time to do more of it in the very near future.  See you soon!   

No comments:

Post a Comment