Sunday, December 22, 2013

Breakfast Bites

I've been playing around with the recipe for awhile trying to find a healthy combination of things that will work for a breakfast bite.  I wanted something with protein, minimal sugar, and that would be easy-to-grab since mornings aren't my best time.  I'm not hungry in the morning, but if I don't have something to snack on during morning recess, I end up hangry (hunger that leads to anger), which makes for an unpleasant morning.    

I've found it works best to send the oatmeal, nuts, and flaked coconut through the food processor beforehand.  Using the food processor eliminates the need for chopping and makes forming the bites a little easier since the ingredients are uniformly chopped and small.  Shredded coconut won't need the food processor.  














BREAKFAST BITES
  • 2 cups oats
  • 1 cup crispy rice cereal
  • 1 cup coconut, shredded or flaked 
  • 1/3 cup ground flax seed
  • 1/2 cup chopped nuts (I've used peanuts and cashews.)
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil 
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla 

Combine the oats, rice cereal, coconut, flax seed, and nuts in a large bowl. 



In a medium saucepan, heat peanut butter, honey, coconut oil, and vanilla until melted and combined.  


Pour peanut butter mixture into dry ingredients and stir gently to combine.  


Place bowl in refrigerator for 20 minutes. 


Roll into small bites and store in the refrigerator or freezer.    


Source:  modified from Mel's Kitchen Cafe

2 comments: