Monday, September 22, 2014

Granola

My friend Gina passed this recipe along to me and now it's my latest breakfast fave. I made yet another batch today.  I've tweaked it a bit to include only ingredients that I like (no thank you on pumpkin seeds) and are easily accessible to me. Feel free to adapt this recipe in any way that makes sense to you; it really is quite versatile.  As for dried fruit, I think cherries are a must. I love this with milk and especially appreciate the fact that it fills me up for much longer than my other breakfast options.  Enjoy!


GRANOLA
  • 3 cups oats
  • 1 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1 cup unsweetened coconut chips
  • 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
  • 1 1/2 cup almonds, roughly chopped
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil
  • dried fruit 

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. 


Line a rimmed backing sheet with parchment paper.  


In a large bowl, combine oats, seeds, coconut, nuts, and salt.  Stir to mix. 


Add maple syrup and coconut oil and stir until well blended.  


Spread mixture in an even layer on the baking sheet.  


Bake, stirring every 15 minutes, until the granola is brown and toasted, about 45 minutes.  


Cool completely. 


Add dried fruit.  


Store in an air tight container.  Glass jars work nicely.


Source: Emily Cavanaugh

No comments:

Post a Comment