Thursday, July 19, 2012

Fluffy Cupcake Frosting

My mom is an amazing cook.  Growing up we mostly had homemade treats which meant that I loved store-bought goodies.  Weird, I know.  My sisters are the same way.  So, although I now really appreciate her fantastic cooking and baking, I still love a cupcake with sugary and fluffy frosting.  I also appreciate a smooth and silky buttercream as well (will blog that recipe at another time), but for this entry we're going with shortening and marshmallow cream.   

I originally found this recipe when I was looking for a cream filling for donuts.  Its works well as that, too, but I also love it on a cupcake.


FLUFFY CUPCAKE FROSTING or CREAM FILLING FOR DONUTS

  • 2 teaspoons very hot water
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow cream
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1/3 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Dissolve the salt in the hot water and allow to cool.


Whip the marshmallow cream, shortening, powdered sugar, and vanilla until it begins to get fluffy.


Add the water and whip well.


NOTE:  I just used this frosting today to make mini cupcakes for another baby shower.  I doubled the recipe and it frosted almost 4 dozen minis.   



I made these with this frosting for a little pirate-themed shower that we had for my sister several months ago after her cute Oliver was born.  She loved the frosting.  I knew she would. 

No comments:

Post a Comment