Thursday, July 12, 2012

Sugar Cookies

I really love a good sugar cookie. But, they have to be soft, in a melt-in-your-mouth kind of way and they MUST have a good cookie-to-frosting ratio. I’m a frosting girl; and the ratio needs to be right, which usually means as close to 1:1 as possible.

My sister found this recipe (not even sure where) years ago when she was in college. I’ve been making it ever since. It’s quick and easy. No need to chill the dough, yet it’s still very roll-able.














SUGAR COOKIES
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 cups flour

Cream butter and sugar.


Add eggs and vanilla.


Mix baking powder, salt and flour in a smaller bowl and add to butter mixture, a little at a time.


Don’t chill, just roll out and bake!


Bake @ 375 for 8-9 minutes.

FROSTING
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla OR almond extract (I always use almond.)
  • 4 cups of powdered sugar
  • milk as needed

Mix butter, salt, and vanilla.


Add powdered sugar, a little at a time, and milk as needed until all the powdered sugar is added.


TIPS:
  • The dough will be a bit dry. You will need to work the pieces all together. I pour the dough out on my Silpat sheet and sort of knead it all together and then roll it out. This dryness is the reason you don’t have to chill the dough.
  • Bake on a Silpat, if you have one. So much easier and less messy than using spray on your cookie sheets.
  • When making the frosting, add the powdered sugar one cup at a time and beat well after each addition. This will help get rid of the lumps in the frosting. I also beat it until it is a little fluffy.
  • Use a piping bag to frost to get a good cookie-to-frosting ratio!  Using a pastry bag is faster and easier than spreading the frosting.  Plus, people will think you are professional.
  • You might want to consider doubling the frosting if you're going to be piping the frosting.  I find that I need more than one recipe's worth.  

1 comment:

  1. These are my favorite sugar cookies of all time - especially when you make them for me!

    ReplyDelete