Saturday, July 14, 2012

Lemon Fusilli with Arugula

I'm not a big pasta fan, but my sister made this the other night and I've made it twice since!  This is a Barefoot Contessa recipe and it is to die for, as long as you love a good strong lemon flavor.  I can't shovel it in fast enough.  I love you, Ina!

NOTE:  I add the meat of a rotisserie chicken to this so it's more main dish-ish.  This was Katie's idea, not mine. 

 
Lemon Fusilli with Arugula
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic (I use at least 3 cloves.)
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 3 lemons
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 pound dried fusilli pasta
  • 1/2 pound baby arugula
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (I definitely use more than this.)
  • 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved

Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the garlic, and cook for 60 seconds.


Add the cream, the zest from 2 lemons, the juice of 2 lemons, 2 teaspoons of salt, and 1 teaspoon of pepper.


Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until it starts to thicken.


Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add 1 tablespoon of salt and the pasta, and cook according to the directions on the package, about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.


Drain the pasta in a colander and place it back into the pot.


Immediately add the cream mixture and cook it over medium-low heat for 3 minutes, until most of the sauce has been absorbed in the pasta.


Pour the hot pasta into a large bowl, add the arugula, Parmesan, and tomatoes.


Cut the last lemon in half lengthwise, slice it 1/4-inch thick crosswise, and add it to the pasta.


Toss well, season to taste, and serve hot.


Source:  Ina Garten

7 comments:

  1. just pinned this to my recipe board. yum, thanks for the idea! I love Ina too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan!
    I came to your blog through your facebook page. Glad to see your blogging about food- one of my favorite subjects as well. I remember in college how we all so looked forward to Megan's cooking night- it was always gauranteed to be delicious. I still have and use some of the recipes you shared with me way back then. I look foward to making this lemon fusilli with arugula- though convincing my husband it can make a meal will be a bit more challanging. I'll have to be sure to throw in some chicken and side of bread for the boys. :) I agree that a lot of lemon is the key to deliciousness. Look forward to more tried and true recipes from you. Hope all is well! -Jaclyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jaclyn! Good to hear from you. Oh the good ol' days of dinner at the ivy house. Hope you're doing well!

      Delete
  3. I had this at Shannon's house and I am going to make it tonight. Delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan, I've made this twice now. It is SOO good and everyone I've made it for loves it. It's now my current favorite dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have cook. Lemons are the heart. Nice balance with arugula and sweet tomatoes. Tickles most of the taste buds. I need to add meat as well. Rotisserie cheese.
    Ml
    Tasty Italian dish. I dont believe how many lemons are used in traditional Italian cooking.

    Certainly an a safely above avg dish. Cheers

    ReplyDelete