Sunday, August 5, 2012

Fish Tacos

There are lots of variations of fish tacos, but I like this one the best because it's pretty easy.  This recipe if from a food blog that I often read called A Bountiful Kitchen

My favorite part of these fish tacos is the pineapple/mango salsa.  I love the fish combined with the fruitiness of the salsa.

PINEAPPLE & MANGO SALSA


  • pineapple
  • mango
  • cilantro
  • red onion
  • fresh lime juice
  • salt and pepper

Sorry to be annoying and not include specified amounts, but this one is really just according to taste.  I just tend to work with what I have.  If you only have pineapple, that's fine or vice versa with the mango.  I really like using both though.  Trader Joe's sells a tropical fruit medley with both pineapple and mango.  I usually buy that because I don't need to make a ton of the salsa.



FISH TACO WHITE SAUCE
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons mayo
  • 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
  • cilantro, chopped
  • milk  
Place the sour cream, mayo, taco seasoning and chopped cilantro in a bowl.

Mix together until blended.

Thin with milk until it is a good consistency to drizzle over your fish tacos. 



FISH
  • 1-2 pounds of fish (I like tilapia)
  • fresh lime juice
  • salt and pepper

Squeeze the juice of one lime over the fish fillets.

Generously season with salt and freshly ground pepper.

Grill over low heat about 5 minutes on each side on a barbecue grill that has been generously greased.

OR:

Broil in the oven for about 7 minutes.

Check to see if the fish is done by flaking with a fork. If the fish flakes apart easily, it is done.


OTHER THINGS YOU'LL NEED
  • corn tortillas
  • cabbage, thinly shredded


VARIATION:

I get frustrated with corn tortillas.  I've tried all the tricks to get them to not fall apart and have tried a bunch of different brands.  If this sounds familiar, try making a fish taco tostada instead.  Prepare a crispy, cheesy, corn tostada found here and then build your fish taco on top of it:  fish, shredded cabbage, white sauce, and pineapple & mango salsa. 

And ta-da!






No comments:

Post a Comment