Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Fried Cabbage

My mom used to make this growing up, usually as a side dish for teriyaki chicken or other Asian meals.  I love it.  It is super simple, but flavorful.  I feel even a little silly writing a post about it because it seems so common sense, but I like to have things documented so I remember it's an option.  Sometimes I get in such a rut that I can't think of anything to make, so having it here is a good reminder. 

The amounts below are just suggestions and can be adjusted to meet your needs and tastes.  The last time I made this I wanted to use up the bag of matchstick carrots I had so it was a little heavy on carrots, but still perfectly delicious. 

I like to make this to go with egg rolls or sweet and sour chicken.  I would suggest using a pretty big pan.  The cabbage cooks down quite a bit, but takes up a lot of space at the beginning.  I also like  my cabbage very well cooked and a little browned, so depending on how you like it will dictate how long to cook it.



















FRIED CABBAGE

  • oil
  • 1/2 head of cabbage, finely shredded
  • shredded carrots
  • salt
  • pepper

Heat a small amount (a tablespoon or so, depending on how much cabbage you're cooking) in a large fry pan.


Once the oil is hot, add cabbage and carrots.


Stir occassionally and add salt and pepper to taste once the cabbage has started to cook down.


Cook until carrots and cabbage are soft and some of the cabbage is browned. 


Source:  Marsha Porter (aka Mom)

No comments:

Post a Comment