Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole

Happy 2013!  I spent New Year's Eve at a cabin with some friends watching movies, playing games, and laughing our heads off.  It was the perfect way to bring in the new year. 

Let me just start this post by explaining that as a kid I LOVED tater tots.  It was one of those things my mom didn't ever buy so they were a real treat.  When I would pick my birthday meal it usually involved tater tots (and often times fish sticks).  I used to trade half of my sandwich with my friend Crystal for her school-lunch tater tots.  I can tell when I'm walking my kids down to the lunch room if they are serving tater tots; they have a distinct and nostalgic (at least to me) smell.

So, in short, this casserole is my childhood dream come true.  Thanks to our school librarian, Mrs. Davenport, for sharing the recipe with me a few years back. 

I made this for our New Year's day breakfast this morning.  I woke up, threw it together, and went back to sleep while it cooked.  I had cut and grated ahead of time so it was super quick to put together and everyone woke to the smell of yummy, cheesy, tater-tot-y casserole. 


 
TATER TOT BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
  • 2 pounds frozen tater tots
  • 1 bunch green onions, finely chopped
  • 1 pound grated sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 pound ham, bacon, OR sausage, cooked and chopped
  • 12 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk

Lightly grease the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan.


Cover bottom of pan with tater tots.


Top with onions, meat, and cheese.


Whisk eggs and milk together until combined. 


Pour egg mixture over the top.  


Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.


Let stand for 10-15 minutes before serving. 


Source:  Diane Davenport 

No comments:

Post a Comment